Projects we’ve Supported

Over the years the Friends have been able to directly fund or contribute funds to a number of conservation projects in Lydiard House, the historic park and St. Mary’s Church.

Project Spotlight – Our most recent project towards which the Friends has made a significant grant, is the St. Mary’s Lydiard Tregoze Conservation Project.

St. Mary’s Conservation Project

This £1million project aims to renovate and conserve the church, to tell its story to a wider audience and to develop its potential as an inspiring educational resource. Huge progress has been made in revealing medieval wallpaintings, cleaning the building’s decoratively patterned walls and harmonising historic paint schemes in the nave, the St. John chapel and previously hidden south porch. The project has been a beacon for conservation training with students coming from across the world to hone their practical skills.

Read more on the St. Mary’s Conservation Project

Forty Years of Published Research 1967 – 2007

The historical Reports of the Friends of Lydiard Tregoze, edited by the organisations founder and former rector of St. Mary’s Church, the late Canon Brian Carne has provided a unique and permanent resource that continues to assist in research and project development today.

Visit our research page to download the reports

Historic Artefacts Acquired and Preserved

Restoration of two 18th Century hatchments (heraldic funeral boards)
Restoration of two 18th Century hatchments (heraldic funeral boards)
Conservation of hand-painted Chinese wallpaper, originally in the Drawing Room
Acquisition of Meissen porcelain from a set once belonging to 2nd Vsct. Bolingbroke
Acquisition of portrait of Robert Rich (1611-1676), 3rd Earl of Warwick by John Greenhill
Acquisition and framing of 1950’s paintings of Lydiard House by Canadian artist George Campbell Tinning
Acquisition and framing of 1950’s paintings of Lydiard House by Canadian artist George Campbell Tinning
Conservation of portrait of Barbara (St. John), wife of Sir Edward Villiers. English School, c1630
Conservation of portrait of Oliver St. John (1634 -1688), 2nd Earl Bolingbroke, English School
Conservation and framing of 19th Century watercolour of the murder of Thomas Becket, a medieval wallpainting in St. Mary’s Church

 

  •  Restoration of two 18th Century hatchments (heraldic funeral boards)
  • Conservation of hand-painted Chinese wallpaper, originally in the Drawing Room
  • Acquisition of Meissen porcelain from a set once belonging to 2nd Vsct. Bolingbroke
  • Acquisition of portrait of Robert Rich (1611-1676), 3rd Earl of Warwick by John Greenhill
  • Acquisition and framing of 1950’s paintings of Lydiard House by Canadian artist George Campbell Tinning
  • Conservation of portrait of Barbara (St. John), wife of Sir Edward Villiers. English School, c1630
  • Conservation of portrait of Oliver St. John (1634 -1688), 2nd Earl Bolingbroke, English School
  • Conservation and framing of 19th Century watercolour of the murder of Thomas Becket, a medieval wallpainting in St. Mary’s Church

Practical help

Although much of our funding is restricted to conservation works we have also been able to assist in other practical ways including a new set of tools for the Volunteer Rangers in 2019.