The St.John family Polyptych

This monument is often called the Triptych, but it has eleven visible panels when opened


The original panels of the Polyptych date from 1615. During the first 70-100 years on the north wall of the chancel most of the visible panels were redesigned following water damage to the original inner doors.

The Friends with the help of the Keeper of the House and the Church Wardens have ensured that photographic evidence of four hidden original panels was recorded and archived.

Curiously Painted by Brian Carne - Published by The Friends of Lydiard Park


Canon Brian Carne was for many years the Rector at St.Mary's Church and he edited the annual Reports produced by the Friends of Lydiard Tregoz. In 2007 Brian Carne's book 'Curiously Painted An illustrated history of the St.John family polyptych at Lydiard Tregoze - its Makers and its Message' was published with the help of the Friends of Lydiard Park.

Unfortunately, this book is no longer in print due to the increased cost of printing and binding. However, the members of the Friends may download the chapters of this book in pdf form from the Members' Area.


Funds raised through membership help finance work that might otherwise not be possible.